Saturday, July 30, 2005

Privileged to serve

Today we had the privilege of helping some friends put up block for their basement foundation. My husband helped with the block work along with probably 15 other men. I was able to help get the lunch ready.

It is a year ago this weekend that so many were available to help us with our "house raising". I think back on that day with amazement. The day started with a slab of cement. By the end of the day, the frame of the house was up. I didn't even have to make any food. It was supplied by all the families represented that day. Absolutely incredible.

Helping and serving one another truly is a privilege, I'm learning. I remember when my oldest daughter was young and I either was told or read (I can't remember which right now) that getting up at night with her was a privilege and I need to think of it as such. It is not a chore. It is a magnificent privilege.

Another bit of advice that I read some time ago was to ask my husband what he would like to have done in the house before he comes home if time gets short. The day may have been over-scheduled or unexpected things came up, but we should find out what specific thing would bless them for when they come home. For instance, I've heard that some husbands want the living room floor picked up. Others are not as concerned about the rest of the house except they would want the bathroom clean. Some don't care too much about the house, they just want supper at a specific time. Confession-I never asked because I wasn't sure that I wanted to know! But, in God's divine wisdom, my husband gently told me that it would bless him a great deal if the table was set and we ate between 5:30-6:00. That way he could plan his evenings better for working on vehicles, working on our house, or having a family night. An added plus was that he said that if the house really needed attention, he would help me staighten up.

At first I bauked inside. My priority was to have a clean house. Personally, I could give or take having meals at a specific time, but I am learning to view it as a privilege to serve. Our evenings have been more scheduled and it has been a wonderful thing for our family.

Serving our husbands, children, and others is a divine privilege. There is a lot of dying to self that has to occur and there is a lot more dying that needs to happen in this lady, but it is refreshing to begin to see serving as the privilege from God that it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I have to sing this song to remind me . . . "If you wanta be great in God's kingdom, learn to be the servant of all . . . " Changing diapers, taking care of sick children, cleaning a constantly messy house . . . I'm learning that being a servant to all includes my children :)