Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Back to the drawing board...

Diapers today advertise things like "Leakguard" and show you all the added features to prevent the "blowout". Well, they didn't do their product testing on my children!! I am cleaning up a "leak" or a "blowout" once a day on average. There have been times that I thought that there should be a school for moms to show us how to do this. I'm on my third child, but I obviously have not gotten the hang of this yet.

Joshua is still in diapers. We have tried to train him. He does show potential, but the consistency is not there. I have been told that boys are harder to train then girls. That has been our experience so far. We've tried the stickers, the wild praise, the timer, and yes, we have even mixed in some negative comments to let him know that it was no longer OK to go "poo" in his pants.

Unfortunately, these negative comments have not had the desired effect. We had told him a couple times, after changing particularly messy ones, "Joshua, this is sickening. You are old enough to be going on the toilet now." One day, while changing him again, he looked at me and said, "Mom, is it sickening?"

Another negative comment attempt... When we would begin to change "poo", we would say, "Iiiiiiick!" You would think that he would make a connection, but this is what he started to tell me even before pulling off the tabs, "Don't say ick, Mom. Don't say ick. Just look."

Back to the drawing board. (I'm confident that he will be trained by the time he is married.)

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I KNOW, Heidi . . . It is one of the toughest things! Hang in there!

Pilgrim said...

Huggies worked the best for us, as for as minimizing blowouts and leaks.
Everyone is on their own timetable.