Thursday, March 30, 2006

When you don't know what to do

I will always remember something that Elisabeth Elliot said in one of her devotionals. She was relating a circumstance in her life in which she was unable to do anything about a certain situation. She said that she felt like Paul and Silas when they were in prison, chained to the wall of their cell. She said, "When you don't know what to do, pray and sing!"

I have thought of this often and have put it into practice many times.

This is one of the songs that I sing during those times.

For those of you that like to read the words...

Be Still, My Soul

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Thro' thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

public domain

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Thanks for the reminder. I love that song!

Hang in there sweetie! I'm praying for you right now.

jump4joy said...

That song holds precious memories for me. And it means alot to me. Thanks for the reminder to be still and wait on the Lord. Keep pressing on the upward way!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I even realized it until now, but I needed that. MAJORLY. Thank you!!

Val said...

I, too, needed that song right now. What is wonderful is that the three verses all deal with different situations...and the second verse is what is speaking to me right now. I'm not facing grief (as the first/third verses may speak to), but rather impatience with things out of my control. We sang "Near to the heart of God" in church this morning, so I got a double-whammy today. :o) Thank you for posting it...I'm going to remember it this week.

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Isn't it neat how God meets us where we are at? What an encouragement you all are, and may God be glorified!

TheNormalMiddle said...

Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite women ever....she has such wisdom!