Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Spring is here and a calendar to prove it

The last two days have been wonderfully pleasant outside and the children in our household are absolutely loving it. They must have gotten gardening genes because yesterday I found them cultivating the driveway and planting dogfood seeds.

We are getting ready to build some raised-bed gardens. We have almost all the building materials now and will start on it as soon has we have a chance. Seeds are ordered and I can hardly wait to eat fresh raw peas, lettuce and green beans. Not to mention *real* tomatoes.



Here is a calendar that I made as part of our homeschool activities. I started it last fall. I was frustrated with how most calendars have only five rows requiring doubling up on the bottom row for some months. Is that confusing for new calendar readers or what? It seems to me that it's just a way for calendar makers to save a penny. Anyway, I decided to make my own version and this is what I came up with. After making the initial board with grid lines and days of the week, I brought it in to have it laminated. I also laminated the numbers and used poster tape (non-permanent) to hold them on for the month.

The moveable border is a small piece of black vinal with stencil plastic on the back for reinforcement. Just a little Exacto knife work is all. Then I got some poster puddy to hold it in place. The children enjoy moving it onto the next day each morning.


Here are my other month labels along with some decorations that we have made for various months. Some months we don't get anything else put up, but then again, there's always next year! Those interesting "people" under the February hearts are part of the multitude of angels that proclaimed the Christ's birth during December. I tell you what, the children had a ball decorating the paper and doily angels with glitter glue and cotton ball hair! I hope to make some umbrellas and raindrops for this month.

In the meantime, we are enjoying the singing birds, the sunshine and mud (uh, the children are).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How creattive you are. I thank God for you. Should be more people like you. MD