Tuesday, April 11, 2006

This thing called parenting

Addendum: As I completed writing this, my 15 month-old toppled the stacked recycling bins over onto himself. Imagine broken jars and strewn...everything else. Praise the Lord he's not hurt, just startled. Then, my two older lovely children decided to make lemonade and while pouring it, the entire pitcher was dumped on the floor and into large drawers under the counter. I was keenly aware that it was an opportunity for me to put into practice that which I have written.

There is an excellent discussion following a very well written post over at Choosing Home about parenting and child training. I know only bits and pieces of the Pearl's teachings and so I cannot intelligently enter the disussion. I do know some families that have been especially blessed by what the Pearl's have had to say. I am gleaning much from those who are voicing opinions about parenting and disciplining styles and convictions.

When I would ask people about child training techniques as a new mother (I still feel very new at this thing called parenting!), some would simply say, "PRAY!" Inside I was thinking, "Yeah, I KNOW I need to pray, but where is the 3-step process? Where is the manual that I can follow?" I am realizing more and more that they were exactly right and I'm growing to appreciate the individuality of my children who don't fit into a 3-step mold.

The other thing that I am appreciating in the discussion is the emphasis by Ann, who wrote the post, and subsequent commenters, on the importance of loving on your children, making sure that they know that they are an integral part of the family, and that they are fun to be around. I recently read a snipet of some advice online about parenting and one phrase spoke to me in which I will paraphrase as: Laughing with your children is an important and vital step toward closeness and bonding with them. I want to laugh with them more.

Ann wrote a week or so ago on "Whatcha Looking For?" She quoted Proverbs 11:27

"If you search for good, you will find favor, but if you search for evil, it will find you!"

If we look for ways that our children or others are irritating or disobeying us, our responses to them will be harsh and unloving. If we look at them as God's precious children, we will encourage and gently guide them. I pray that I look for good in my children. Yes, there are times to discipline, but disciplining will have much more effect in the context of love and acceptance.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here. My children and I took a bit of time to sit next to the pond/swamp and listen to the frogs. I relished that moment with them and I think they liked it too.

I'm going to go laugh and play with them now...

4 comments:

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

I am smiling, Heidi. YES!

And that verse has meant a great deal to me.

He speaks to us so clearly--to our hearts and our particular situations--- through His word.

I appreciate your sharing. YES!

Anonymous said...

Great post!!!

TheNormalMiddle said...

Great reflections...I love to just sit with my kids too, out in God's creation, enjoying the day together.

I often think to myself, they could be in daycare and I could be away and work, and we wouldn't have these precious memories.

Susanna said...

At a recent wedding service, my husband was especially struck by the words used in describing the reason for marriage, one of which is that children should be raised in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Yes, nurture, a concept that seems to be missing in the majority of families in this sin sick world.