Monday, April 17, 2006

Celebrating Easter

I have fond memories of Easter while growing up and can now appreciate even more the efforts of our Lutheran congregation leadership to make Easter a meaningful time. As part of the youth group, I participated in the Easter play, which were short dramas done in segments on Wednesday evenings during Lent.

Good Friday was a very solemn time. The service was in the early afternoon. This was when in small towns such as ours, businesses still closed down from 12:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon so anyone who wanted to could attend the Good Friday church service of their choice. Windows were covered, the alter and lectern were covered in black. If I remember correctly, the large cross on the wall behind the alter was also covered in black or had a black cloth draped over it. The sanctuary was bare of anything extra. Everyone was quiet and the songs were slow and mournful. After the service, no one was ushered out. Everyone got up and left the service when they wanted to and without a word to those around them. Even in the fellowship hall, any talk was limited and in hushed tones.

I remember having a sinking feeling in my stomach on Saturday, which must have been a small taste of what the disciples felt after Christ died. What now? Emptiness.

Then Sunday morning! Easter lilies were everywhere. The church was bright and members of the church that could play brass instruments (trumpet, trombone, french horn, etc) joined the choir in a very enthusiastic and majestic joint effort of "Christ the Lord is risen today, Ha-le-lu-iah!!!" My heart still skips a beat thinking about it.

Of course there are other parts to my memories like participating in the kitchen as part of the youth crew that served Easter breakfast. Every year we tried to figure out a way to have scrambled eggs in big roasters and keep them from turning green. I don't think it every happened. It just added to the memories.

These days we have started our own traditions. Not that it is better or worse then memories of years past. Just different.

We have made this for two years now. I don't even know what to call it exactly.

Here my children are forming the rice krispie "cake" into a "hill" on a large serving plate. I've been told that some people make a chocolate cake and bake it in a bowl instead.

Form a small tomb on one side of the hill and mix green food coloring with coconut for grass.

I made frosting and colored 1/2 green and the other half I mixed in some cocoa powder to make it brown. We then frosted the tomb half of the hill and the corresponding rest of the plate with green frosting and the other half with the brown. The green side then gets the green coconut for grass and cake decoration candies for flowers.

Our crosses are made of popsicle sticks and we made the path to the crosses with brownie crumbs. You could also use chocolate chips or something else too.


The stone over the tomb opening is supposed to be a cookie, but since I didn't have one for the event, I printed off a picture of a boulder from MS Word's clipart and laminated it.

Sunday morning Keith and I got up at 5:30 AM, "rolled" the stone away and woke up the children. With squinting eyes, they looked at the empty tomb as we explained the Jesus was not there. He had risen from the dead!

We got ready for 6:30 AM sunrise service at church. After the service, we got into vehicles to go Easter caroling. The recipients of such caroling absolutely love it and we all had a wonderful time. Then we returned to the church for Easter breakfast.

After going home, we went on a bike ride and then made a big meal. Then naptime and being invited over with friends for a campfire picnic supper with singing and fellowship...

As long as the joy and awe of Jesus dying on the cross and being raised from the dead as the final sacrifice and completed payment for our sins in proclaimed, Easter can be celebrated a variety of different ways. May Christ be glorified!

6 comments:

john said...

May the Lord bless you!Thanks for the blog...

John

http://the-way-i-see-it-john.blogspot.com/

Momof3 said...

What a neat tradition that 'cake' is! I love reading about how others commemorate our Christian holidays!
~Lez

Anonymous said...

Heidi, what a neat way of teaching the children about Jesus and the ressurection. Beautiful pictures, too. MD

Destination...Gloryland! said...

John, thanks so much for stopping by! I'll look over your blog more when I have a chance.

Lez and MD, thanks for your comments! I love learning about how others celebrate holidays too.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the cake... it's so good to use these kinds of activities.. warms my heart to see it done.

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Peacefullady, just wanted to let you know how much I like your penname. I SO desire to be a peaceful lady myself.