Monday, March 20, 2006

Working into this slowly


We've decided that one of the activities that we will do as a family is camping. So, in light of that, we are proud new owners of the above pictured tent. Because erecting this tent was new to us, we decided it would be best to do a dry run of how to set it up. One of the first things my husband said when looking at the box picture and the tent with pieces was, "Is this really what they expect us to do with this?" I thought we were in for real trouble. Let's just say that it was a test in patience, especially with three VERY excited children running around and squealing. Of course after it's up, you think, "Now that wasn't too bad afterall" and we are conviced that each time we set it up, it will become easier and we will be able to incorporate the help of our very eager tent-errectors-in-training.

Our daughter didn't waste a moment in getting her sleeping bag and setting up her spot as soon as we gave the OK. We were able to fit in a queen blow-up mattress for honey and I, two sleeping bags and a Pack-n-Play for the youngest. It was full in there, but not horribly so.

After family devotions by flashlight, we tried to get everyone settled in. Yeah right. They were all pretty wound up. I had had a good nap that afternoon, so I wasn't nearly as tired as my hubby, who fell asleep almost immediately. I laid there trying to stay really still and quiet. Then the 15 month-old decided to stand up in his crib and make noises. Finally, Keith looked over at him and said, "Ssshhhh!" I could hardly believe it, but he just laid back down and was quiet. Now even though I had been trying to stay still before, I was really trying to be quiet now. I kept thinking, "Don't move an inch. If I pretend that my head doesn't itch, maybe it will go away. Don't mess with a miracle!"

Next, my daughter sits up and is looking out the door of the tent. I finally asked her what she was doing and she said, "I see the moon outside." So even though it may have seemed funny to me to be camping in a tent inside the house, I guess she was getting a taste of what it will be like to camp outside. In fact, camping outside is a whole new concept to them. When we first told them that we were going to start camping, they were SO excited. Then when we mentioned that we would be setting the tent up outside when it was warmer, they looked at us with the most puzzled expression and said, "Outside??" Of course, then the excitement level went up a few notches.

My son and daughter had to get up and get this or that, use the bathroom, or whatever a couple times. I just let them go. They were having too much fun. This got my mind wandering a bit to the times when I went camping with my family growing up and the awful feeling of having to go to the bathroom after everyone was in bed. I can remember having to wake someone up, get shoes and coat on over my pajamas, and walk the two miles (it felt like) to the biffy. I then started wondering if this camping idea was a good one. Anyway, my son comes back from one of his escapes from the tent with his sunglasses on. Poor thing, the moonlight was just to bright for him.

Eventually we all fell asleep. Sometime this summer we will be falling asleep to the sound of crickets, scurrying chipmunks and croaking frogs. This time it was to the sound of a fan (it was roasting in there!, the dishwasher and the trickle of water flowing through the pump of the fish aquarium.

No comments: