Saturday, May 27, 2006

Where do I want to be?

Yes, I'm still here. This last week has been a bit of a blur of activity and I want to write much about it, but first I want to write a synopsis of the message that we heard last night at church campout by Rick Rhodes, the guest speaker. Interestingly enough, this is the second time in a few months that my husband and I have heard similar messages on this passage/subject by two totally different preachers. It would seem that God is wanting to instill this message deep in our hearts, so that we do not faint and lose heart.

Rick explained that when he knows where he wants to get to via driving, he stays on the road, no matter what that road is like. If there is a detour because of road repair, he had better stay on the detour. If he decides to get off that road because it is too busy with semi-trucks and holiday traffickers, and heads off on a side road, that road may eventually become less than desirable with curves and poor pavement. So, he turns off on another road. Eventually, he is lost.

If you know where you want to go, you will stay on the road that you need to in order to get you there, even if it's bumpy, curvy, gravel or muddy. You will endure the hardship and discomfort, because you know the goal of where you want to be.

If you know where you are going, only one way will get you there. If you don't know where you are going, anywhere will get you there.

Prov 29:18
Where there is no vision, the people perish:
KJV

In Genesis 13, is the passage about Abram (later to be called Abraham) and Lot. There are getting to be too many people and herds by both men to be sustained by the land, so Abram tells Lot to choose whether he wants to go to the left or the right and Abram will go the other way.

Gen 13:10
And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar.
KJV
Lot chose the land that looked good. It looked prosperous with worldly lusts. Therefore he turned his tent toward Sodom. He simply chose to head that way.

It did not take long before Lot was living in Sodom. It became his home. He had become comfortable, even though he was very aware of the sin around him. He strongly urged the angels to stay in his home instead of in the square of the city (Genesis 19:3). He wouldn't allow his guests to be exposed to the sin in his home town. Lot went outside, shutting the door behind him, so he could talk to the evil men of the city without the angels hearing. He was ashamed and embarrassed of the behavior of his neighbors. There was an element of secrecy. Lot was even willing to give the sodomite men his daughters for the night so they wouldn't harm his guests. How did he get to this spot in life where he was living amongst such gross sin and needed to shut the door behind him in secrecy?

In Genesis 19:12, it would seem that Lot had more than just two daughters. His sons-in-law would not come with when he pleaded with them to leave Sodom before it's destruction. The angels even had to seize the hands of Lot, his wife and his two daughters on the day of their exodus. They didn't want to leave. It was their home.

It was because of the compassion of the Lord (Genesis 19:16) that God led Lot, his wife and daughters out of Sodom.

Lot lost his wife. Why did she look back and turn to a pillar of salt even after being warned to not look back? It was her home. She was comfortable there. Everything she knew, not matter how sinful, was there. Sodom was her life.

How did Lot get to such a place? What happened to bring him to this? Lot's choice to turn his tent toward Sodom. He made the initial decision to turn toward that which was not best. Despite what Lot knew (he is even called righteous in Scripture), he made a choice based on the things of this world. It was a bountiful land and very prosperous. It looked good.
When God rained down fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah, it destroyed everything, even the valley that Lot initially turned toward; the valley that had initially looked so appealing to Lot. (Genesis 19:25) And another interesting tidbit from the 1st message that we heard on this, Genesis 19:25 is the first time "fire" is used in the Bible. Also, brimstone is sulfur and sulfur burns at 9000 degrees.
Lot turned off the straight and narrow road.
Matt 7:13-14
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
KJV

Rick took time to explain that decisions are not always just right and wrong. It is the question of good, better and best. Some of the decisions that we make are not really ones of right and wrong Scripturally. We can't always pick out a verse that says, "Thou shalt not __________". It becomes a question of where are we going and what is it going to take to get us there? The decisions and answers from the Lord may be different for different people.

For instance, if I wanted to raise very competitive, award-winning, athletes in my children, I would be starting the training for that right now. I would take them outside a couple times a day for vigorous activities. Sure, I would make it fun, but other things would have to be set aside because they wouldn't fit in with my goal. I wouldn't have time to learn gourmet cooking or teach my children the science of raising animals and learning to sew. My time would be filled with my goal of training them in athletics.

If my goal is to grow close as a family, instill Biblical truths in my children and share/exemplify my love and devotion to the Lord with them, my life choices will reflect that. If my goal is to be deeply rooted in Christ, that goal will take time and energy. Some things that I used to view as important will have to be put far down on my list of priorities. Some things will be put on the altar, killed and sacrificed in order that the things that I need to focus on to achieve my goal can be accomplished.

So what is your goal? What is mine? Seek the Lord in prayer. Read His Word. Seek Godly counsel. The Lord desires to tell us the direction in which we should set our tent. Do we want to hear His instructions, or do we want to go our own way?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good, Heidi. I kept looking for a new blog and I thought you must be very busy planting your garden and such. Glad to see you posting again. Love you. MD

TheNormalMiddle said...

Beautifully written. When I read it I thought...why do I worry so much about WHO is on the road with me? I worry too much about what friends/family think. You are continuing to prompt me to think about my quest to be more like Christ---to live a holy and pure life.

By the way, I've worn dresses all week. A HUGE step for me!!! :)

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Glad to be back MD!

Lindsey, yes, I sure understand the thoughts about who is one the road with us. It's hard to walk alone and be in opposition to those around us because they DO love us. They want the best for us too. They just may not see things the way we do. Difficult things to go through, but Christ has called us and the way may not seem easy all the time. Believe me, I know. :)

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Lindsey,

One other thing, I wrote this post mostly as a reminder to myself of what the Lord was telling us. Many times, my posts are that way. It's an avenue for me to write things down for remembrance. I am very thankful that it spoke to you too. Isn't God good?

Susanna said...

It is so hard when you find your self at odds with other believers isn't it? I have come to accept that it will be the case until we reach glory (and probably find out that we were all way off the mark!) But in a world where so few take the narrow way it is still hard for me to stop and think 'what does so and so believe etc'.
On another matter, I recently made a decision which fitted right into your description. Still not quite sure how things will work out but having things that are good, better and best can make it hard to choose the right way! It just reminds me how much we must listen to our God and seek His will, making time to be still in this busy world.

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Susanna, yes it is SO hard sometimes. Yet it seems that hardship and difficulties draw us closer to Him than anything else.

Clinging closer to Him with you...

ampraisingHim said...

I have some few moments so I'm catching up on some of your posts.
WoW, this one was really insightful. What a great topic! I think in light of what I'm going thru in the past couple of days, and a couple of weeks or so, the Lord has caused me to reevaluate how I view others who are on the road too. This blog, from the sermon you heard, and your thoughts have really put words to my feelings. If I had to come out and admit it, I have had, and may still do have a problem analyzing, and maybe (eeks!) judging other Christians who are on the road. I guess my problem is where I am at this moment, I have been hurt by people who say they are Christians, and who may come to church, but really don't show the fruit. I guess, I can't judge, but leave it up to the LOrd. I guess I'm to love them as Christ would, and put up with their actions,...hmmm?

Also this post gave me the encouragement to keep plodding on. Though in the past few years I can truly say that I feel the words of the song(entitled I have Decided) with the words,
"....though none go with me, still I will follow, (repeat), no turning back, no turning back.

That is what I have been dealing with, loneliness. I guess we have been in a mission field, though we live in the US, and this tiny town, that's dying, has their eyes on other things other than God.
I'm rambling, I better stop. Thanks for the message.