Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Field Day

Last Friday was a milestone for my daughter. She was finally old enough to participate in Field Day. Our church hosts the track and field activities for homeschool families in our area. Families come from quite a distance to participate in this end-of-the-year event. In fact, that's one of the things that I appreciate about it...it's a family day. About 200 participants are registered with boy's events on one side of the church and girl's on the other. Then it's lunch time. Picnic baskets and blankets come out and everyone sits down with their family and enjoys the chance to be refreshed in the shade. (It was really hot for this cool weather gal.) Then in the afternoon, the girls and boys switch sides to complete the rest of the events.

Yes, there's competition, but I honestly don't think that that is the main focus of the day. Good Sportsmanship ribbons are available for everyone. The children are encouraged to do their best and just have fun. Despite this, my daughter was tickled to get 3rd place in the 100 yard dash. I was proud of her for trying her best in the other events that she participated in and I was proud that she took her ribbon status well. She wasn't gloating or anything. She was simply excited.



I know it's kind of hard to see the running 5 year olds for this 50 yard dash event, but my daughter is on the right side with Daddy at the end of the race cheering her on.

It was such a fun day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard so much about Track and Field day over the years.........

GO LAURA!!!!! :-) You did a great job.