Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The blessing of a miracle

Yesterday I was able to witness a miracle. I had the opportunity to hold a tiny bundle with tiny fingers and tiny toes. Her mama and papa were completely enthralled with her. And rightly so. She is beautiful. The cries of a newborn are so unique. I remember my mother saying to me after hearing a baby's cry, "That's a very little one." This wee one cried but a few times. She didn't need to. Her needs were completely met. She was warm, fed and close to the ones that have loved and prayed for her for 9 months already. They were so anxious to see her.

"Can you believe that she's really here?"
"Isn't she beautiful?"
"Hush honey. Mama's here."

What a miracle.

I'm looking forward to seeing her grow into the person the God made her to be. She will change so many times. Her looks will change. Her personality will develop.

I told her mama that those feelings of, "She's really my baby!" don't necessarily go away. Just the other day I was looking at my 16 month old son as someone else was holding him. He looked different...again. Changing. Had his face thinned out? Was the skin pulled around his eyes differently? I couldn't put my finger on it, but the thought came to mind again, "He is really my son."

It's the same with all my children. I look at my daughter with her soft, fine features or my 3 year old son as he plays with other boys and think, "Wow. That is my child."

What an amazing blessing to care for the children that God loans to us! What an awesome responsibility. What a privilege.

Thank you Lord for the miracle of these blessings that you have placed in our care. May we treasure them and delight in them. Please help me not to lose perspective and never take for granted Your gifts from heaven.

2 comments:

TheNormalMiddle said...

That first bundle of joy I couldn't believe was mine is now five and a half. Time flies, doesn't it?

Destination...Gloryland! said...

That is so true! My oldest is about that age too.