Thursday, May 11, 2006

Charlotte and feathered friends

Today an apparently overdue mother robin was on the front lawn. She could hardly jump to find more worms. Poor thing. I remember those days of feeling so large with child that I could barely move. The ground seemed immensly far away and if I did venture down there, I stayed there.

Then I was treated to seeing our first oriole at our feeder! It's a bit hard to get other things accomplished when I'm constantly running over to look at the feeder, hoping to get another glimpse.

And Charlotte... Yes, I feel like Wilbur. I think she came in the house on some "flowers" my daughter brought me that are sitting on the kitchen window sill. Charlotte made the most beautiful web across my kitchen window. I couldn't bring myself to obliterate this creature. Then the other day I looked again and the previous web was all gone and a new one was made. She was sitting in the middle of it. I called my children in and hitched them up to see God's marvelous creation.

"Can you see all those little strings?"

"Isn't that amazing?"

Maybe it's the homeschooling mother inside of me that takes moments like this and exponds on them. I want my children to see the wonder of God's creation and to notice the details of life. It's all an opportunity to learn more of Him.

So, for the time being, Charlotte is safe. Any other crawling things are fair game.

No comments: