Thursday, November 03, 2005

The delivery man

Over the past week or so, we have had a lot of delivery trucks come to our house. There is a flurry of excitement every time that brown box truck comes into our driveway. The children can't get to the door fast enough. In amongst the needed supplies have been a few items for them. Even though I have tried to explain how deliveries are made (start at a store/warehouse/house, travels on a truck, goes to another warehouse, then another truck or plane, and eventually driven to our house), my son is still convinced that the delivery man gave it to us. I guess he is right. The delivery man did hand it to us with a smile. The UPS man has also had a few different names. Yesterday he was the "ABC man". This morning my 3 year old said emphatically, "The CPS man gave it to us!" He's getting closer...

Come to think of it, I often confuse the deliverer with the Giver. There is a definite place to thank those that deliver the gifts given from the "Giver of all good things". What if that person would not have been willing to deliver the word of encouragement, the meal or the helping hand in pushing the extra cart out to the car? But I often forget that the gift originated at the inexhaustible warehouse of our Heavenly Father.

May I never forget to thank the Giver even more than the deliverer.


Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,
and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither
shadow of turning.
James 1:17

1 comment:

Japheth said...

What and awesome analogy! It's so true, that in "real life" i would never think of crediting the UPS guy with the gift, but it is so easy to see all the good things that happen to us as "from the UPS guy."

I Love it! I am going to hang this in my hat for a while!