Monday, October 31, 2005

Where I want to be

About a week ago, an older wise man made a statement after unforeseen events altered his plans:

"I have come to the point in my life that it really doesn't matter whether the Lord did it or allowed Satan to do it. God is still in control either way."

I have been pondering that ever since...not that I haven't heard similar statements before, but it was seen in a new light.

Later that morning while singing "In Heavenly Love Abiding" a phrase in the first verse strongly gripped me:

"The storm may roar without me"

There are many storms that Satan would desire to consume our entire being... every thought, every action, every word...but you know what? The storm may roar without me! I don't need to be consumed by it. No wonder we are told in Scripture to take captive every thought to the obedience of Christ and to think on those things that are pure, trustworthy and of good report. God knows that we are tempted to put our focus on earthy things and not on HIM. Praise Him, Thank Him, sing of the truths of His Word.

I've been told that there is a proverb that states, "We cannot keep the birds from flying overhead, but we can keep them from building a nest in our hair."

To me, that is the essence of taking every thought captive. Satan will hurl thoughts, but if we allow ourselves to muse over them, the nest is beginning to be built.

I know that as a wife and mother, it takes my entire being to be in tune with HIM in order for me to do what he has called me to do and be who he has called me to be. When I allow myself to get sidetracked, that calling suffers.

No matter what happens in my day, I desire to say, "It doesn't matter whether God did it or He allowed Satan to do it. God is in control either way!"

3 comments:

Momof3 said...

If you read Life in the Shoe's latest post, you know the tragic accident that happened to the Schrock family. I think the saying you heard can relate to that situation, somewhat. God IS in control and has a reason for everything, though it's hard for anyone on earth to fathom why right now.
Lez

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Thank you very much for alerting us to what happened. We will make sure that the Schrock family will be prayed for at church tonight...but we have been praying ever since we read about it. You are right, we cannot fathom what they are going through even though we know without a doubt that God IS in control.

Blessings,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

"I have come to the point in my life that it really doesn't matter whether the Lord did it or allowed Satan to do it. God is still in control either way."

Great quote. I will really think on this one!