Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Being Thankful...Right Now

Holly over at ChoosingHome (click on side bar) recently wrote of "The Perspective of Grief". Another reminder of the frailty of our life on this earth and to be thankful for the "right now". If you read it, be ready to cry.

My mother told me that when my sisters and I were young, she told herself, "The day will come when the toys are always put away and the house is clean...and I won't like that either." How many times have I been reminded to enjoy the moment from those words!

So as my children make a "house" out of couch cushions, blankets, totes or whatever AGAIN, I am thankful. As they set up chairs in a row and play church, taking turns leading songs and preaching, I am thankful. As I read my Bible and find scribbling with my highlighters or sit at my sewing machine and see the marker artwork, I am thankful for my son. When my eyes rest again on the scrape in the new sheetrock, I am thankful because I am reminded of how my child tried to quietly move the chair by picking it up instead of pushing it along the floor. As I wipe up the spills on the stovetop, I am thankful for my daughter who wants to help. As I pick up the contents of our bookshelf, 3 feet and below, and put the books back for the umteenth time, I am thankful for my baby.

It seems that the older I get and the children grow, I cherish each moment more.

When my 11 month old was not feeling well and was only happy when I held him...so be it. I can clean later.

Sleeping with my 3 year old son when he was quite sick, was not a drudgery of mother responsibility.

When my children continually ask me to read them a story I love to oblige.

As my children squeal with glee as they take a horsey ride on Keith's back or tussle on the floor, I am thankful for a house full of joy...God's gracious answer to my prayers.

And, as we pack up the entire house, it seems, to drive 18 hours to see Grandpa, I am thankful.

Talk with you in a couple weeks!

No comments: