Monday, November 14, 2005

Following Directions

I've started a larger project of late. Insulated curtains. It took me forever, it seemed, to measure, plan, and determine all the needed supplies (special material, rings, cord, pulleys, magnets, side-draw kit). I sweated over it many times. These are no simple gathered curtains. There is a specific way to make them such that they will "seal" around the window. Good idea. Good theory.

With gathered curtains, there is quite a bit of breathing room in which they will still look just fine. When the curtain has to fit the window perfectly, that's another story.

I finally got to the day that I felt fairly confident enough to place the order. So, with that done, I waited with semi-anticipation for the order. It's always exciting to get a package, but that would mean that I would have to start making these things and what if I messed them up to the point that I was short on materials?

Last week, Keith got the trim up on one window and there was no more procrastinating. I had to start. Even though I had probably read the directions a dozen times before ordering, I was just plain confused as to how they wanted me to cut this material. I called the company, but didn't get any solid explanation. Finally, I went ahead and cut it. I held it up at the window. "I think this looks right."

I was meticulous with the procedure and when I was done, I had every anticipation that they would work, although I couldn't understand why I had to have this extra 6" added on to the material, per instructions. After all, this company has been around for many years. Surely they have all the kinks out of their directions.

Keith and I measured the curtain width again before mounting. Something was very wrong. I had an extra 14+"! I was flabbergasted. "I followed the directions!" I couldn't exactly rip it out and start over. Imagine spray adhesive and "Steam-a-seam". As the curtains lay over the recliner and we were trying to figure out what to do, Keith said, "Well, they look real good." He's so supportive. We finally decided to cut the track the length that it was supposed to be, put the curtain up and see what it looked like. Not horrible, but not nice and flat like it is supposed to be.

On to curtain #2. I again break into a sweat as I read and re-read the directions on how to cut the size, trying to understand this elusive 6". Finally, the light bulb goes on. "Oh!!" No, I'm not supposed to have an extra 6". I just couldn't seem to comprehend it before. The directions weren't wrong. I didn't understand the directions. So, I'm off to make this next set, with a bit more confidence.

Many times it seems that reading the Bible is like that for me. I'll read a portion and really don't "get it". Sometimes I will take out a Bible dictionary or concordance and that helps bring it to light. Other times, I will be listening to my pastor, reading a book on the particular passage or topic, discussing it with Keith or others, or meditating on it. All of a sudden the bulb goes on and I can envision God saying with a smile, "We...have...CONTACT!"

The Bible wasn't wrong, I just didn't understand the "directions" before. How thankful I am for the Holy Spirit to help bring to light the grace and truth in God's Word that brings life eternal.

Recently I heard a suggestion for personal devotion time. The speaker described his devotional format from over the last year. He picked a portion of Scripture, usually at least a chapter, and read it over and over and over for a week or two. At first it seemed mundane to him. Then after the 3rd or 4th day, a bright glow would inevitably form as the light bulb came on and he would say, "I didn't see that before!"

I understand the feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Thanks for coming over and checking out my blog. Your comments are very encouraging to say the least. Your blog looks great, I really enjoyed reading.

I may be back for some sewing pointers! hee