Friday, September 30, 2005

College years-Part 2 of my testimony

I went to college for Music Therapy. Music has always been, and continues to be a major part of my, and my family's, life. I was in music contests every spring. My mother faithfully would support me and accompany me as needed while I was in vocal and flute contests. I was in band and choir. I learned that performance was everything. Appearance was everything.

So, it seemed to everyone that I should go to college for music. I really wanted therapy. Music therapy was my compromise.

College was a struggle for me. I was a loner and was lingering in a secretive relationship. Depression engulfed me. I would go to class and then return to my dorm room and sleep, just to "get away from it all". Music theory class was exceptionally difficult. I have been told that it is one of the most difficult things to learn. I was pretty much a straight A student in high school. Now my grades were slipping. I couldn't handle that. Finally, my music therapy teacher suggested that I consider occupational therapy.

It was also during this time that I was invited to a Christian get-away weekend with my cousin at her college. I was touched and it was here that I told the Lord that I was giving Him my life. I had a new hunger for the Lord and started participating in a Bible study. I went to work on a dude ranch in Montana after that first year of college. I wanted to "start over" in many areas and a physical change did really help to make a clean cut. I got a mountain bike and started riding. When I was told about a Christian family that had a Bible study, I rode the 10 or so miles to their house on my day off to introduce myself to Gary and Leta Morton. This started a friendship that has remained to this day. They were spiritual parents to me and I needed it despirately.

Back at college, I found a ride to an Assembly of God church and ended up meeting a lady who is an occupational therapist there. I went to observe her at work and decided to make a change in my major. This meant changing colleges, so I started searching.

Things were starting to turn around for me. I met a friend during my second year of college that is still a good friend today. She is just plain goofy, loves the Lord, and exactly the type of person that I needed to help me learn how to enjoy life.

Unfortunately, this is also the time that I finally realized that things were not going so well at home. My parents had had issues for years apparently. I was oblivious at the time, being so wrapped up in my own life. Now, things were at a crossroads for them. My dad eventually moved out.

I found a college that had occupational therapy. I applied and was accepted. Looking back, everything went so smoothly. It was as though the Lord carried me through this transition.
The summer after my second year of college, I was able to go on a mission trip to Mexico with YWAM. It was here that our group was meshed with a group from a church in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Since I was going to be moving there when I transitioned to my second college, they invited me to look them up.

I started college on a new campus for my third year. My parents finalized their divorce and my dad asked me to help him move 4 states away. Even if unintentional, I felt in the middle of my parents. It was awful. When at my dad's new residence, I met another man and started yet another unhealthy relationship. The distance was God's grace. The relationship ended after a few months, but I was battered. I thought I was a Christian. What was I doing? Was I ever saved in the first place?

No comments: