Sunday, September 25, 2005

Organization gone too far

I love to organize. If it isn't organized, I've been known to lay awake at night figuring out a plan to put it in order. People have actually tried to count how many containers I have and have given up.

It's been a gradual process of finding the perfect strategy to access items quickly and efficiently in each corner, cupboard, shelf or closet. Containers, baskets or file cabinets have been some of my favorite gifts.

My current plan is to try my hand at building a rolling file cabinet/shelf unit to fit under my laundry table that I can roll out with homeschooling supplies/curriculum. While my husband is over fixing a car in the shop this winter, I hope to be sawing, nailing and glueing.

I've heard it said that it is easier to organize fewer things. Very true...and I need this reminder so that I regularly go through what I have and get rid of the "extra".

Jenna at My Three Pennies Worth (click on sidebar...I haven't learned how to make a link in my text yet :)) wrote a post about "Preparing for the Cold" that discusses the benefits of getting rid of "stuff".

We have a true story that has been told in our family about a lady that grew up in the depression. Every once in awhile we ask my grandma to retell the story to us.

This lady would go to the butcher shop and ask the butcher to use extra string to wrap her meat packages. The butcher didn't know why, but was willing to oblige. When she got home, she would use the extra string to tie her roast before cooking. She continued this for years.

When the lady passed away, her children were cleaning out the house. She was apparently a good organizer herself, but it went a bit too far when her children found a box labeled:

"String, too short to use"

It makes me laugh every time.

No comments: