Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Battle of the Wills

Last night we had cell group at our house. The discussion was about the Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6. In verse 10, an interesting comment was made. "Our will to do His will needs to supercede our fleshly will." Fighting with our flesh will be a reality until we enter eternity, but as long as our will to do His will prevails over our fleshly will, God's ways will reign in our lives. Our fleshly will gets starved.

When an animal is starved, it can become quite ferocious in it's attempt to survive. Our fleshly will may not be much different. It may appear that our flesh, in a certain area, is starved to the point of death, only to have strong hunger pangs reignite it's furry. It is at these times that I often give in and feed my flesh, gorging in things that bring only momentary relief. Then the battle to starve that aspect of my flesh seems to begin all over again. Yet, I have some things going for me this time. I have a new or enlightened understanding of how my flesh fights and can bring about new strategies to help conquer it on the next go around. Most importantly, I have my Lord, who forgives and aids me as I seek His help.

The Lord obviously knew that this battle rages within each soul. He knew that it was a vital aspect in our walk with Him. He knew that we needed to continually pray that our will would overcome our fleshly will.

The Lord's Prayer is a rather short prayer, but He knew that this needed to be included, and for that, I am grateful.

No comments: