Thursday, August 04, 2005

The value of a name

My 3 and 4 year old are commonly found playing and calling each other different names. Sometimes it's names like Charlie and Annette. Other times it's Shnotling and Crosnal. What?? Many times they play that they are Mom and Dad, Mom and brother, or the like. Then one will call, "Mommy!" I say, "What?" They look at me with a puzzled expression and then smile as they say, "You're not mommy. You're grandma!" Oh.

Despite the vivid imaginations that my children have, they still love their names. I've made up short diddies in which their names can be easily inserted such as this one to the tune of "Oh Christmas Tree":

Oh (their name)
Oh (their name)
We love you very much.
(repeat)

We love you so
We love you so
We love you so
We love you so

(repeat top)

There was a time when my husband and I would wrap them up after their baths and cradle them while we sang this tune. They loved it and would ask us to sing it over and over and even sing it with us. The cutest was when our youngest was born and our older son started singing this tune to our newborn all on his own.

Now our youngest is 7 months old and is really responding to his name more than ever. He loves it when I sing his name into his ear and hold him close, knowing that he is loved and cherished.

If I sit still enough to hear my Father's voice, sometimes I can hear Him singing my name and His love for me. No wonder my children love these simple songs of how much we love them. I love it too.

No comments: