Monday, August 08, 2005

"I made a stake"

I had just sent my daughter outside, pushing our youngest in the double stroller. L. does a pretty good job and I can watch them easily out our windows. I was anticipating that she would push the stroller on the driveway, down by the swings, or over some other even terrain. Moments after seeing them on their way, L. comes running in, "Mom! Come! Hurry! I made a stake! I made a stake!" I ran outside and around the house to find the stroller upside down in the weeds and my 7 month old screaming. I pulled the stroller out with my son safely in his five-point harness. No harm was done. There was no poison ivy either. He was frightened, but that was it, thankfully.

I then went on to explain how she should get to her destination with a stroller and avoid the slight embankment on the edge of the lawn. I also had to clarify with her that the word is "mistake".

Thinking about it afterwards, I was thankful that she immediately came to ask for help and didn't try to cover-up what had happened. She was comfortable enough with her relationship with me, and concerned enough with the safety of her brother to come running for help right away.

I would hope that my relationship with the Lord is the same way. I want to learn how to come running to my Father when I have made a "stake" and not try to cover it up or fix it myself.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our
sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

No comments: