Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Overcomers

After a minor surgery in high school, I was given a Precious Moments figurine of a little boy on crutches. The Scripture written on it says, "Blessed are they that overcome." I had it out for awhile, then packed it away. A couple years ago, I took it out again. "Blessed are they that overcome." An overcomer? Overcoming what?

My mind went to Isaiah 40:31.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

I have come to long for an overcoming spirit. I want to soar above earthly circumstances that try to weigh me down.

I am reminded of another picture I saw years ago of a lone eagle, at total peace, perched on a dead tree as a war wages all around. The war of souls is all around us. The war for our peace and effectiveness for God's kingdom is always near. The war to keep us from focusing our thoughts on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, things of good report, virtuous, or things worthy of praise is constant. (Philippians 4:8)

When I choose to live as a citizen of God's kingdom, and not this earthly one, God graciously gives me that inexpressible peace and joy that I long for and I do feel like that eagle who soars above or is able to be at peace on a dead branch as the war rages so close. It is at these times that I take hold of God's gift of an overcoming spirit to rise above the temptations of worry, fear, doubt, dispair and discouragement and "take captive every thought to the obedience of Christ".

This world is not my home...I'm just a passin' through...

No comments: