Monday, October 02, 2006

Willing to suffer

There is a family that comes to our church when they are in the area. Previously, they were missionaries in Africa and have adopted two African children. During the sermon discussion time during one visit, the man spoke up to add to the discussion and in doing so, he made the following statement: "I have come to notice a difference between people of Africa and those of America. People in Africa are not afraid of suffering. It is a part of everyone's life there. It's just accepted as they don't have the medical advances that we do, the living standards, etc. But they are very frightened of death. They are keenly aware of the spiritual realm and those that don't know Jesus are terrified of death. Americans on the other hand have no real fear of death, whether they are saved or not. Americans are terrified of suffering and will do anything to avoid it."

This fits in well with what Donna Kaufman discussed in her second session of the women's retreat that I attended. Read the synopsis of her first session, as well as links to her website here. Again, I will try to summarize her valuable thoughts below.

We. will. suffer. Life is difficult at times and it is through these difficulties that we are drawn to the Father. The fact is that some sorrows go on and on without any apparent end in this lifetime

*Despite the fact that we will suffer, can we rest in the midst of these struggles?*

Psalms 55
To the chief Musician on Neg'-i-noth, Mas'-chil, A Psalm of David.
Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication.
Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise;
Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me.
My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.
And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.
Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.
I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest.
Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it.
Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets.
For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him:
But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance.
We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.
Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.
God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God.
He hath put forth his hands against such as be at peace with him: he hath broken his covenant.
The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.
Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction: bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee.
KJV


David poured out his heart to God and so should we. Even if we are not dealing with a situation well, God is there with us. It is part of His grace to draw us close and be near even when we are coping poorly.

*God is OK with our struggling. We don't need to have it all "together" before we can come and sit on His lap. God is there to hold our hand DURING the process.*

We need to be willing to embrace the struggles in our lives. It's not that we go looking for suffering and struggles, but when they inevitably come, we need to embrace it as a time of growth. There are waiting times in life...commas as another put it...when there is intense uncertainty, discomfort and agony. We need to work through these times in order to be transformed and for redemption to occur. The analogy of a cocoon is helpful here. The caterpillar willingly entered into a phase of life in which it is cold, tight and upside down...anything but comfortable. But the caterpillar had to go through this in order to be transformed.

In agonizing times, we want to run from suffering and struggles. We get busy with tasks/activities and turn to "happy" things to avoid the pain. Busyism, shopism, materialism, best parentism, self-protectionism, cleanism...just to name a few. :) We can't hear the Father when we are covering the pain with any "ism".

*We rarely allow God to let us go into the cocoon and therefore miss out on the transformation/redemption that God wants us to receive.*

In Mark 15, we read the account of Jesus enduring excruciatingly dark, agonizing pain and suffering, but He knew that He had to go through this in order to be transformed and resurrected into a new body.

We tend to get the idea that to suffer "well" is to be at total peace without any struggle, but Jesus didn't. In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus did three key things:

1. Jesus collected his friends around him. He wanted others to walk alongside Him. Admittedly, the disciples were poor companions. They kept falling asleep. In this we must realize that people will fail us sometimes, but it is not wrong to ask a chosen one or two to join with us in praying through a difficult time.
2. Jesus went to the Father. In Hebrews 4, we are told to cease from our own works (i.e. fear, worry, self-ability, etc.). God promises His presence in the midst of our agony. We are not necessarily sinning with our emotions during a battle. Jesus expressed deep emotion and wrestled with what laid ahead to the point of sweating blood.
3. Jesus stayed in the presence of the Father as long as needed. He waited until He was totally surrendered to the Father's will.

THEN we can move forward in the midst of suffering with the peace and knowledge that "It's OK. The Father is with me." We NEED the darkness of suffering in order to reach God's rest. His grace allows us to rest well and to obey Him well. The presence of the Father brings transformation.

Other Scripture to look at regarding suffering:
Psalm 94
Psalm 56
Isaiah 41
Exodus 3

4 comments:

ampraisingHim said...

Thank you ever so much for this post! :)

Jada's Gigi said...

What a beautiful post and what a beautiful and astute observation by your African missionary family...Wow...I'll be repeating that one...thankyou..

Anonymous said...

what struck me here is that they are afraid of death. Friends of ours are in PNG as Bible translators / missionaries - one of the most powerful witnesses came from an elderly man inthe village -when he heard the Gospel read in his own language (a geneology at that!) he pronounced - now I know it is true and I am no longer afraid to die.

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Wow Lorna! That is wonderful!