Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Just what the doctor ordered

Last weekend started out with my husband bringing me home this gorgeous bouquet. I had spent the day packing and cleaning in preparation for heading down to visit his parents and my mother. My daughter wanted to bring them with, saying that she would gladly hold them, but it was really nice to come home to a clean house and red roses on the table after the weekend.

Traveling is quite an ordeal with three small children and since we don't go often, I try to make it memorable. I pack travel toys and food up to gazoo. The children are "helping" me pack all day and are waiting in the vehicle 1/2 hour before we are going to leave, asking for their containers of fish crackers.

We made it to our destination on Friday evening and my husband did the daunting task of unpacking. He was so gracious to just laugh at me bringing a tote of boots, snow pants, hats and mittens in addition to everything else. There was a dusting of snow at our place before we left and I thought, "Well, just in case there's snow this weekend and the children want to play outside..."

Keith stayed with his parents on Saturday to help them with some projects while I took the children to the Minnesota Children's Museum in St. Paul and met my mother. Keith calls it a 5-floor indoor playground and it kind of is. Yet, there are tons of educational exhibits there. If the public schools can bring students there for field trips during the school year, I can count it as a school day as well. They learned about occupations, machines, turtles, literature/play acting, cultural diversity, etc. Very educational. I was grateful for the opportunity to see my mother and also appreciated her help as three children going in three different directions can be challenging. A good day was had by all and my 22 month old was sleeping before we left the parking ramp.

On the way home, I stopped at S.R. Harris, a huge discount fabric warehouse that was overflowing with people. Try to picture floor to 20 foot ceiling bolts of material and then wanting the one on the bottom of the heap. What I was thinking in bringing three tired children there I'm not sure, but they behaved fairly well considering. I was able to find some fun pieces of material and thankfully I was able to nab a young kid employee to fish out the desired bolts. I would have given up trying if it was left to me. I want to try using a "baby wrap" when this new one is born in January. Another attempt at trying to figure out how to do multiple things at once... If the wrapping concept doesn't work for me, I have material for a couple dresses. A win-win situation.

It was a good weekend, but I was tired and the children were apparently tired afterward. This week has been tough so far. I was at wits end yesterday, feeling like a complete failure as a mother. There are parenting styles out there that I don't want to emulate, but I could see those poor coping skills coming out of me over and over. Very frustrating.

So today I get this email from a special friend, "Want to come over for chicken, corn, noodle soup today?" We talked as we dealt with children and I came home very refreshed. The children all took a nap and I went in my room, lit a candle, started some relaxing music and sewed...in the quiet.

I feel like a new person. It was just what the Doctor of all doctors ordered, and I was blessed.

13 comments:

ampraisingHim said...

So very glad that you have been blessed by the Lord in so many ways over the weekend and earlier this week!! :)

Dawn said...

The roses are beautiful!!!!
Sometimes life can drive us crazy and we do feel like failures because we could have done so much more or so much better, however we are only given 24 hours and if those 24 hours are well spent in the Lord, then we are not failures at all, in fact, we are richly blessed! I have no little onesn yet, but working on that, but I know that DH can drive me crazy at times and it's all I can do is go into another room and either pray, write in my journal, listen to instrumental music or just lie down so that way I am more refreshed once we are together again. ;-)
Glad you enjoyed your trip!!!

Destination...Gloryland! said...

amprainsinghim...I always appreciate you. :)

Dawn Marie, thank you for your kind thoughts. Do you have a blog?? I wanted to check it out, but couldn't find you.

Anonymous said...

what's baby wrap?

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Lorna,

Good question. I'll write about that next! :)

Jada's Gigi said...

what lovley weekend! The roses are beautiful! The kids had a great time and you got to relax a bit when you got home. Sounds perfect. I well remember what it was like have 3 little ones..my sis has 4 so its a continual nuthouse...:) Enjoy....whaty's that verse that says "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean" Enjoy the chaos..it won't last forever...:)

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Jada's Gigi,

Thank your for the encouragement! Yes, sometimes it's hard to keep the right perpective...

Dawn said...

No, I do not have a blog. But I do have a MySpace account if you want to go say hello to me over there. My address is: www.myspace.com/55104709
I am also a headcovering sister in Christ. :-)
I was excited to see that you cover as well since we are a rare breed...LOL.
I am involved in a headcovering ladies Yahoo group, you should check it out. We are from all around the globe and encourage one another and stuff. Just go to Yahoo groups and type in headcovering and it should pop right up, along with some other headcovering groups I am in.
Blessings!!!

jump4joy said...

I think sometimes we could be really good friends in person. Don't know if that will ever happen... but I wanted to tell you that!! Blessings to you!!!

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Dawn Marie, welcome! I'll have to check that site out. It sounds interesting.

Jump4Joy, awwwh, you're so sweet. You never know, maybe someday...!

You know, you all have brightened my day.

Anonymous said...

The flowers are beautiful! :) What a sweet husband. :)

Travel with littles is just exhausting. (Our families live 11 hours away, and 17 hours away. Seeing Grandmas and Grandpas involves a very long trip, no matter what!)

I'm so glad to have found you again, Heidi. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope your husband realizes how lucky he really is (it seems he does...)

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Holly, you have such a way of allowing God to speak though you. Thank you.

gsc1039, all I know is that I'm married to the best man in the world...no offense to anyone else. :)