Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tested by fire

Living in the "north country", fire is even more significant in our lives in the winter than the summer. We use propane for a lot of our appliances, so that flicker from the pilot light becomes quite important...especially when it goes out in the water heater and halfway through the shower, that soothing flow turns cold! Now that it is getting cooler outside, we are getting to use our newly installed gas fireplace. I tell you, it is SO fun. It makes getting up in the morning tolerable as I sit in front of that flame of warmth. Yesterday was the day to fire up the outdoor wood burning stove. This heats water that goes through tubes in our concrete floor for radiant heat in our home and shop. Mmmmm...just cozy. Now the children can hardly wait for the snow to fly.

For us, fire is comforting because it is contained and we utilize it for our benefit.

God uses fire for a variety of reasons, but all for His glory. God used fire and brimstone to totally disintegrate Sodom and Gomorrah. God spoke to Moses out of a burning bush. He led the children of Isreal in the desert by a pillar of fire at night. God used fire to lap up Elijah's sacrifice, the water, the altar and the stones to prove His dominion in front of the false prophets of Baal.

Jesus sat around a fire at times to prepare food and also just as a meeting place. At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came and was symbolized by a tongue of fire on each of their heads. Jesus spoke of hell as an everlasting place of torment and fire.



So many ways that God has used fire. So many ways that we don't fully understand.

Let's just take a moment to focus on this verse:

1 Cor 3:10-13
According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
KJV

Our motives, our longings, our inner drives...our heart...will be tested by fire at the end of the age when we stand before God. Was the foundation on Jesus Christ?

Did we witness out of a sense of duty or out of a pure heart aching for the lost?
Did we argue a point in Scripture because of an honest conviction revealed through His Word, or out of fear that our world would crumble if we were wrong?
Did we train our children to fear the Lord, or to fear what other's think?
Did we stand on tradition or truth?
Did we walk in legalism or obedience?
Did we walk in true humility or false humility?
Was our service to others for the praise of God, or the praise of men?
Did we REALLY love God, or did we just try to convince ourselves that we did?

God knows the truth. In most instances, we know the truth in our hearts. One of my most frequent prayers to my Father is, "Lord, please keep me from deception and keep my family from deception". You may, or may not agree to even pray such a thing, but the ache in my heart to *know my own heart* is strong. It is that drive within me that keeps me searching, yearning, wanting more, willing to change in order to draw closer to the Truth and the Originator of Truth and willing to stand in the midst of societal pressure.

I am willing, as much as I can be willing at this point in my life, to go through the test of God's fire. I can stand in fear of what God may allow me to go through in the future, but I am learning that God gives the grace to go through each test of fire at that time, and not before. Each circumstance can be used for His glory and as preparation for something to come, but the ultimate gift of grace to walk through the fire, comes as the flames start to lick our feet.

I trust Him, His purposes and His love for me. I know that it is for His glory.

Therefore I can rest even when I don't totally understand the purpose behind the fire.

This post was inspired by the "Carnival of Beauty". This time, it is topic is "Fire" and is hosted by Lindsey at Just Enjoy the Journey. Please stop by Lindsey's blog for all the submissions on this topic that will be listed on Wednesday...and check out her blog in general. It is one of my daily reads.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are questions to ponder on, I know what I want the answers to be, but only through prayer and conviction can I really know.

This is a thought provoking post. I especially like "Our motives, our longings, our inner drives...our heart...will be tested by fire at the end of the age when we stand before God. Was the foundation on Jesus Christ?"

great post.

ampraisingHim said...

Excellent post, some really great stuff to think about. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great exhortation here Heidi. Thank you for sharing. God bless!

Jada's Gigi said...

Good thoughts on fire...I have had some stirrings of the lord on this subject all summer that along with water and even did a couple fo blogs on the topic...I'm not sure I have the full picture that the Lord is speaking to me yet so I'm still letting it marinate in my spirit. Though I don't relish the thought of fire, I trust His purpose....