Monday, February 13, 2006

Attention to Detail

We received a letter from some new friends after Christmas.

It was so fun to open a hand-made envelope and a simple, but precious hand-made card, real hay and all.

I am really looking forward to getting to know them more. She sounds like a healthy eating expert and uses mostly organic ingredients. Right up my alley. (I am actually experimenting with stevia instead of sugar lately. It has been working great!) She wrote of investing time in interests that I have only heard of but have thought would be so neat, like planting a butterfly garden. Others are things that I plan to incorporate into our homeschooling, such as pressing flowers and plants for nature books and going on nature hikes. Because they live in Alaska next to the ocean, their nature hikes also include learning about the sea and muskeg. It sounds fascinating to me.

One of the most special parts of the letter was her attention to detail. Taking time to draw a picture of one of her favorite flowers and sealing the enclosed letter with melted red crayon...

It made an impression on me... her letter was genuine. It didn't feel like an obligation to respond to our letter. It expressed that we were important enough to spend time writing to.

I want to take the time to invest in details for those around me as well...especially for Keith and my children. I want them to know that they are special and they warrant my extra time. It is not an obligation for me to serve them, teach them, or spend time with them. It is a choice that I have made out of love. Details to express my care and God's love could easily extend to others...my neighbors, friends and those I come in contact with during my days. Details don't have to involve much. I know how much a smile from someone else I don't even know can brighten my day. It's such a simple thing...a detail.

Inviting a neighbor in for tea and cookies.
Writing a note of encouragement to a friend.
Taking time to make a newspaper boat with my children.
Holding a friend's baby for a few moments to give her a break.
Helping to pick up some merchandise that another shopper accidently knocked over.
Playing hide-and-seek with my children for 10 minutes.
Stopping to pray for a friend that comes to mind.

Details...

Lord, help me to incorporate more details for others into my days. I want to see others before myself...because when You walked this earth, that's what You did and I want to be like You, Lord. I want others to see You through me in the details of life. Thank you that You give strength to the weary, ideas to those who lack creativity, and vitality to the faint of heart. You are my example, Lord. I want to be like You.

No comments: