Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Homemade Bread

Yes, I make my own bread...sometimes. Now, just because I make bread doesn't mean that you have to make your own bread. In fact, it has NOTHING to do with whether you are a good mother or not, as I'm finding out via the blogging world that some insinuate. You may actually be a better mother for not making your own bread and giving your children store-bought bread and canned soup...especially if that means that you are spending that extra time with your children.

I just like to make food from scratch, but life sometimes doesn't allow for that. Therefore, there are times that I buy bread. In fact, the other weekend, our family was going to get together with another family and roast brats over the fire. My husband was talking on the phone to the other Mr. and said that we could bring some of our store-bought bread over as we didn't have buns. He proceeded to jokingly start giving my husband a hard time that we were "slipping" in buying store bread. Just then my husband heard his wife telling him that they only had store bread to contribute too! Got 'im!

But today, I was able to get a batch of bread made. I'm finally pleased with the product after years of frustration over crumbly bread. It's such a great feeling. I used dough enhancer and follow all the recipe's tips for "better consistency", but to no avail. I would make the loaves, yet inside I was wishing I had the stuff from the store that you can see through.

Now, I followed the advice of a friend and I have a secret ingredient to share with those of you that want to take the plunge of making your own bread, or have been frustrated with your bread-making results. I have tried this ingredient now with probably 10 batches of bread and they have all consistently worked beautifully.

Here it is...

Are you ready??




Potato flakes.

There. The secret is out.

For once, I can cut thin slices of whole wheat bread without it crumbling to bits. No more sandwiches that have to have 1" slices of bread so it doesn't fall apart with each bite...but when you have such a large sandwich, you can't fit it in your mouth anyway. It's like a dream come true, I tell you!

Just add 3/4-1 cup of potato flakes in with your flour for a 5-6 loaf batch and it works like a charm.

Happy baking!

5 comments:

Andrew McAllister said...

Potato flakes. Who knew? Good tip.

We use some oatmeal and molasses to make a brown bread that is truly delish!

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

ampraisingHim said...

What a great tip!! I grew up making bread from scratch, and when I was first married tried it. However, some times it worked, and other times it didn't. I then realized that some of the houses we lived in was too drafty and not warm enough for bread. My husband ended up getting a bread making machine for me. I've tried the bread machine mixes and they come out well....I've also have a great cookbook for breads from scratch(using the machine). This cookbook also has recipes for breads, rolls, bread sticks, bagels, etc. Many you start the dough in the machine, allow it to rise, and then bake in a regular oven. I haven't tried everything in it yet. I think you are right, when it comes to breadmaking, its what works in each house, with the number and needs of the children at home, schedules, etc, as to the type and variety of bread made. Keep up the good work. HUGS.

TheNormalMiddle said...

Now that is a good tip!!!!

Trisha said...

Yep, potato flakes do it every time. I've heard plain old gluten helps it rise, too, but I've never tried it.

Tomorrow I'm making a sourdough starter. I'm praying it works.

Anonymous said...

We have a donut recipe that we use potato flakes in. SCRUMPTIOUS.