Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sewing modest clothing

I have seen post after post from women that are frustrated at trying to purchase decent clothing for themselves and their children, specially their daughters. We have become a culture that wants to flaunt our bodies. In the process, clothing designers have moved that philosophy down to even our children...and people are buying them.

It is sad that at 4 and 5 years of age, my husband and I are having to teach our children to look away and guard their eyes when there are those walking around stores in little more than bikinis. It is a skill that they will need to utilize for the rest of their lives. "Oh, be careful little eyes what you see..."

I understand that there are different perspectives on what is modest, but I am simply presenting here a few ideas that we have incorporated.

Though this post has the potential to get into quite a debate, my heart is to share that it is possible to sew modest dresses for your daughters and yourselves (I'm talking to women here although I'm sure there's men out there that may want to tackle such a project as well.) if that is on your heart. I am here to say, "Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah! You! Can! Do! It!"

I haven't been sewing clothes for too long. Maybe 5 years or so. In that amount of time I have learned tons. In fact I just learned how to put in an invisible zipper. Hint: you need a special foot on your sewing machine that makes it really easy. For the most part, follow the pattern, and you will learn basic techniques that transfer to most sewing projects. Of course there's always tricks to the trade as they say, but you can do quite well without them.

When I was in high school, I made a quilt and some other smaller projects in home economics class. I will never forget what I was taught there: use lots of pins and a good sewer will be a good riper. I don't see myself as a great sewer yet, but I have done my fair share of ripping out seams and pins are my friends even though it takes me a bit longer. The finished product is much more satisfying for me.

Here is a jean jumper dress that I made some time ago. It is starting to get worn-looking, but my daughter loves it. I put daisy buttons on for fun. I can find shirts to wear underneath at Walmart or garage sales. I also have had her wear pants as she is quite an active child! I know some make pantaloons. I have considered that, but now that my daughter is 5, she likes the thin sweatpants that I find cheap. I just got a pattern at Walmart or JoAnn Fabric and lengthened the skirt.



Here is a dress that I recently made. I got the pattern here. They do a great job and I've been more than happy with their products.


Here is the most recent dress, hot off the press. This type takes longer because you are basically making two dresses; a regular dress with a jumper over the top. But, I really like them, so every once in awhile I do it.



I hope that your are encouraged to give sewing a try if you are frustrated with what is out in clothing stores. Like I mentioned, I'm not the best seamstress out there, but if someone has questions, I'd be happy to try to help you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I found your site by reaidng your comment on Amy Scott's site, and was very intruiged with the Menonite/Amish thoughts you brought up! I was about to just move on and read the next comment until I happened to glance at the name and see that we share the same name. =D THen I decided I would veiw your site but probably not do anything more than comment....but when I found this post on modesty and on sewing your own clothes I couldn't resist!

I recently decided to only wear loose skirts or dresses and have been teaching myelf how to sew my own clothes for the last....two weeks or so. I just want to thank you for being a light for Christ and I'll be looking forward to future posts! THe Lord bless you!

ampraisingHim said...

Yes you are a light for Christ, and such an encouragement to me to sew my own clothes! Keep up the good work! I too am thrilled to see your pictures--you do beautiful work!

Momof3 said...

I checked out that site, and was impressed! However the price is far too high for me to handle....whether I need dresses or not.
Thanks for the ideas though! And for sharing your convictions on modesty!
~Lez

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Thank you to all of you for your kind words! It's all worth it if I can encourage someone to try sewing their clothes!

Doc, I understand what you are saying. I have purchased their patterns to help save on the money side of things. For others, purchasing one pre-made dress may be an option that would allow them to have a visual respresentation before trying to sew the pattern themselves.

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Heidi, you are a very talented woman and the dresses are just *beautiful*! Thank you for the *encouragement*!
Warmly,
Ann V.