Sunday, July 16, 2006

"Praise the Lord!" and flowers

My 5 year old daughter absolutely LOVES flowers. She is bringing me flowers at least a couple times a day. I enjoy it so much. When I'm driving home, I often stop to pick up the mail on our main road. While I'm walking across the road, she jumps out to pick a couple flowers that are in the ditch. She knows where every flower is on our property and she is the first to notice any new ones that sprout up. She must be my mother and grandmother's heir!

In the last few weeks we have really noticed our need for rain around here. The lawn looks ratty because we are afraid we'll kill it totally if we mow. In some ways it's pretty. The daisies have started blooming in the grass again. So last week my children were in their rooms for nap time. My daughter doesn't take a nap so often anymore, but she needs to rest so that mommy can rest. After 20 minutes or so, she comes out of her room with a bouquet of flowers for me.

"Did you go out your window to get these?" (Her window is only 2' off the ground. Great for fire escaping. Not so great for "fun" escapes.)

"Yes! And mommy look at this one! It's so pretty. I got it out of the garden and this one I got in the grass by the trees and this one was growing by the house...."

What could I say? They WERE pretty.

She also loves the garden. She is forever saying, "Mom! Come out here! I have to show you something!" So I go out and she jumps in excitement at the zucchini, the peas or the broccoli.

Being the dramatist that she is, the same day she went through her window to get me flowers, she came out of her room again and said, "Praise the Lord, it's going to rain! Mom, I looked out my window and it's dark over our house and PRAISE THE LORD it's going to rain!"

And you know, she was right. After weeks of not a drop of rain, we got a gully washer. The thunder woke my 18 month old from his nap and my other son woke up so everyone was awake and watching the wonderful, nourishing rain. My 18 month old went about crazy. He's a slow one for talking, but he was screeching and pointing for me to follow him to the window. When I complied, he would climb up the couch and up into the window sill to screech and point some more. If I walked away, the sequence started all over again until I followed him back to the window.

There's no doubt about it. Praise the Lord for His love for us in the big and the little things of this life!

Ps 34:1-3
I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall
continually be in my mouth.
My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the
humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
O magnify the LORD with me, and let
us exalt his name together.
KJV

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your inspiring letter.It is a real joy when our children take pleasure in God's nature.Gin

ampraisingHim said...

Wow~! What a great post of seeing life thru a child's eyes. She really does take joy in what the Lord has created!

I know firsthand it IS hard to punish for something like a 'window escape' when they are holding flowers in their hands with a big smile!! Her escapades sound a lot like something my son would have (and still does) do!