Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Times have changed

My husband's mother is quite the technology tackler. She had Web TV for emailing for a few years. Then she was getting frustrated with that. She tried a laptop and now has a pretty high-tech deskstop with a 19" monitor. I won't tell you how old she is, but suffice it to say that she has some years under her belt and most her age have never understood what the world wide web is.
We got her a web cam a few months ago so we could see each other when we talked as we live about 3 1/2 hours from each other. It took a bit of practice, but she is doing great.

A couple days ago, my husband was talking to her over the internet and she got a phone call. I had to chuckle when I heard her say, "I'm on the web cam with my son...yea, I'll call you back later."

Twenty years ago, I don't think very many people would have had a clue what that was, and most of her relatives and friends her age probably still don't.

Then the conversation went to my husband walking her through doing a web search for a new part for her dishwasher.

"Now type this in the Google box."
"Now do you see this?"
"Click there."
"Scroll down."
"Now which model do you have?"
"Is that the part you need?"

They found the part and he had her save the page on her favorites.

I thought it was all pretty amazing.

3 comments:

ampraisingHim said...

That is very amazing. It is very nice in situations like those when a distant son can still help out his mother solve a very real problem.

I know if pioneers who broken sod 150+ years ago would be totally amazed today that machines such as dishwashers, microwaves, washers/dryers, and even lawn mowers could replace what took them hours to do. But, when it breaks down, it still requires a human to fix it!!

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Isn't that true! It is that component to machines that keeps my husband in the auto mechanic business. You feel kind of funny saying, "I hope your car doesn't break down, but when it does..." These man-made things have their advantages, but it's not always roses.

Glen Zehr said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.