Thursday, December 29, 2005

A tribute to my mother

You know what? I have a wonderful mother. This year for Christmas, she made all of us scarves. In the past, she has made me a sweater and my husband a quilt. I treasure the sweater that she made my grandpa and I was able to keep after his death.

I have learned so much from her and my memories of her when I was growing up are coming to mind more and more as my children grow. Like today, I was washing the floor for the third time, trying to get the stickiness off. The first two times I must have just moved the juice around. My mom taught my sisters and I how to clean. We didn't always cooperate and I remember many times of doing our weekly chores late Friday night, as that was the deadline if we were to get our allowance. These days, I would have absolutely no qualms about my children eating off her floors. They are likely cleaner than my dishes...and I have a dishwasher.

As my children bring in rocks that they found, I am reminded of the boxes and boxes of rocks that I treasured and kept under my bed when I was young. She tried in vain to convince me that I could keep them outside or just have a few. She must have eventually conviced me, because I love to organize and declutter today. Now it's my turn to try to teach my daughter...

As I hear my children say over and over, "Mom, will you read a story?", I remember my mother's love of reading to us.

When my heart swells in seeing my children succeed, I start to understand my mother's heart towards me: matching or exceeding my joy when things went well and crying with me when they didn't.

My mother is a go-getter. If she sees a job to be done, like painting the entire house or moving a huge flower garden to a new location, she tackles it with vigor and persistence. I think that I inherited a portion of this...but could always use more.

I think of my mother and her love for my sisters and I, and her prayers for us over the years.

I know that she prayed that I would be able to use my voice for God's glory. Today, I sing more than ever with my family and at times, just alone to God. As the Lord has seen fit, I have had the opportunity to sing for others...most recently in a cave we explored when the tour guide asked for volunteers to try out the marvelous accoustics. God knows the gifts He has given and when to use them. I wait on His direction.

I know that she prayed that I would grow in love for the Lord and God has generously answered this prayer as well. Each day, my love for Jesus grows and my desire to obey His Word intensifies.

Even though we have been at odds over the years, and don't see eye-to-eye on some things right now, she has influenced my life, and my family's life, in so many positive ways. I have caused my mother much pain and heartache and she has endured much in her life. She did her best in raising my sisters and I, and she did a wonderful job.

Mom, I want everyone to know how much I love you and appreciate you...because I honestly do, from the bottom of my heart.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

this is very nice